[pdftex] Optical alignment.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Mar 20 18:08:05 CET 2003

Following the example given in Han The Thanh paper I attempted optical
alignment (AKA hanging punctuation.) I use pef(e)tex, not pdflatex.

The problem is, it over corrects. Not just the punctuation mark but the
preceding letter protrude into the margin. I used to have it working OK.
My version is:
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7x)
Do I need to upgrade to a newer version?

Here is a sniippet of my code
:
\font\rm= pplr8r at 8.59pt
\rm
\pdfprotrudechars=1
\input protcode.tex
\setprotcode\font
\pretolerance=500
\tolerance=1000

Thing is, I used to have it working. But now I have forgotten the exact
technique.

Any thoughts?

John Culleton