[pdftex] pdftex capacity problems

Thomas Schrader tschrader at aeccom.com
Wed Mar 12 12:27:07 CET 2003

Hi everybody,

please get me there, if this has been answered somewhere
else, I couldn't find it.

My pdftex (Web2C 7.3.7) 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211 (need
encryption) ran out of memory

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=263001]

due to very very large longtables, I suppose (well, it works
fine with short ones).

So, in 'texmf.cnf' I set

main_memory.pdflatex = 1500000

Now it complains

---! Must increase the trie size (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

but i already set this to the allowed maximum

trie_size = 262144

Can anyone help? Might the installation (tetex) be erroneous?

What I really need is a pdftex setup to process very large longtables
with short entries (matrizes) in minimal runtime. This is to be integrated
as rendering engine into a fully automated xml reporting environment.

Is there a possibility to make the memory management of pdftex more
flexible?

Thanks a lot.

Thomas Schrader

--