[pdftex] MS Word hell, TeX heaven?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 22:03:25 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 20:37, William Adams wrote:
> Ironically, there was a time when TV Guide was typeset w/ TeX---not
> sure if that's still the case or no, though.

i think thats an urban myth, you know. they look at it once,
but I don't believe it was ever implemented in production

> Moreover, how long was it from SGML -> XML?

10-15 years, but not sure why its relevant?

> > did you ever recall reading
> > one of those business analyses noting TeX as a key technology?
>
> Presumably they're not planning on printing ;)
hopefully not.

> > Even if you look at the analysis made of the US government's dependence
> > on Open Source software, TeX doesnt figure much.
>
> Yeah, but it still gets used behind the scenes quite often when ink
> hits paper.

yesm "quite often" probably characterizes it. not a ringing
endorsement...

> One also has things like InDesign which directly take advantage of
> TeX w/o acknowledgement :(

so? TeX is good, and Knuth made it open for others to learn from.
its not surprising other people pick the good bits.

> Also, can't help but wonder what Microsoft is doing w/ Leslie Lamport
> working for them....

Lamport has not done any real work on LaTeX for about 15 years.

Sebastian