[pdftex] MS Word hell, TeX heaven?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 20:03:50 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 16:26, Michael Hallgren wrote:
> Another feature of the TeX is the quality of the output. I have
> to admit not being a MS Word expert, but so far I've never come
> close to produce equally nice looking documents (with our without
> mathematics inside)

on the other hand, there *are* many adequate-looking documents
around which have come from Word. and there are *many* truly horrible
documents coming from LaTeX! TeX's inherent quality is easy to
misuse :-}

> Globally, I do not see MS Word as a competitor. One would probably
> have to go looking at other wysiwyg alternatives to find one
> (Framemaker?)

I suspect The Devil of Seattle isn't losing much sleep :-}
Word is part of Office, a complete self-contained productivity
environment. Yes, its horrible, I hate it. But a 25 year old
typesetting language isn't a competitor for an office suite...

Sebastian