[pdftex] Font problem on typesetter

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Tue Mar 11 10:06:05 CET 2003

I experienced a strange font problem. I created a special variant of my
body face with lining numerals for table of contents entries (FontLab
v4.5).

This is my PDFTeX version:
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211-2.1 (Web2c
7.3.7x) (format=pdfelatex 2003.1.29)

In Acrobat (and on my PostScript printer) everything looked fine. But
when outputting on an imagesetter (and I can reproduce it by saving the
file in Acrobat as a PostScript file and redestilling it) the numerals
got out of place. I first thought this to be an old spacing problem
(thread started 2002/7/3) -- but it's not.

The interesting point is if everything is setup as standard encoding
(MAP, TFM, PFB, FD) the PDF is ok but changing MAP/TFM/FD to, say, LY1
encoding I got this displacement.

Can someone explain me why an encoding vector changes the placing of
glyphs on the page. Or how I analyse this problem (of course I looked
into the tfm via tftopl; all numerals have the same width of 490).

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr