[pdftex] Forward looking object references

ikh ikhomyakov at msn.com
Thu Mar 6 11:51:36 CET 2003

John, thank you  for your reply.

I am trying to create a PDF document  (DVI is not a requirement) that would
show the total number of pages on each page (e.g. PAGE X OF Y), and do it in
one front-to-back linear pdfTeX pass! I believe it can be done in PDF by
using "forward object references" (I also did not think it was possible
until a colleague of mine suggested this interesting method). For example,
the output doc can look as follows:

page 1: PAGE 1 OF <reference to 1000 0 R>
page 2: PAGE 2 OF <reference to 1000 0 R>
page 100: PAGE 100 OF <reference to 1000 0 R>
1000 0 obj <<...100...>>

As per my understanding pdfTeX allows you to output an object first, and
only then to get hold of its object number (reference). What I would like to
do is, for example:
-- allocate an object reference first \myobjref
-- use this reference on every page: \pdfrefobj\myobjref
-- specify the object reference to \pdfobj when I output the my object in
the end, e.g.: \pdfobj objref\myobjref ...

Is there a way to achieve this in pdfTeX?

Thank you,
Igor.