[pdftex] license questions + how do I read the source code?

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Wed Mar 5 05:44:42 CET 2003

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 4:33 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am confused about the license for pdfTeX.

I'll let someone else answer the legalities .... ;-)>

> However, I would like to examine the source files for clarification, as the
> README suggests.  However, I don't know how to.  I am running
> Windows 2000, and I can't seem to do anything useful with the
> source.tar.bz2 file

tar is a 'tape archive', that is several files placed into one archive file.

The GNU version of the tar utility is "an
       archiving program designed to store and extract files from
       an archive file known as a tarfile.  A tarfile may be made
       on  a  tape  drive,  however, it is also common to write a
       tarfile to a normal file. "

bz2 files are just compressed files ( bzip2  compresses  files  using
       the Burrows-Wheeler block
       sorting text compression algorithm,  and  Huffman  coding.
       Compression  is  generally  considerably  better than that
       achieved by more conventional LZ77/LZ78-based compressors,
       and  approaches  the performance of the PPM family of sta­
       tistical compressors).

I would be surprised if there is no un-bz2 utility for M$ Windows and/or if
the sources are not available with other compressions ... but claim no
knowledge.
The above bits should give you enough start to search the web for utilities
that work on your platform, I hope.

Michael Chapman.