[pdftex] Story behind pdfpages request

beezaur beezaur at myhome.net
Wed Jun 25 10:09:43 CEST 2003

I apologize for once again "starting a new thread," if that is in fact
what is happening. I receive these messages as emails with no way to
reply to the list except as I am now.  I have no way to maintain "thread
integrity."

If you are interested, there is a small story behind my recent pdfpages
request, so read on.  Otherwise, by all means, stop wasting your time.

As I mentioned, I was writing a report for work (a small engineering
company) that required some extras that I didn't know how to do.  My
company uses Microsoft Word, but there have been tremendous problems
with getting the technical reports we write to work well.  I have been
trying to get the company to switch to LaTeX, something which has worked
exceptionally well for me in school.

I got the OK to try a single experiment, a report for one job only.  The
report for that job turned out to be a nightmare, with daily design
changes, even on the morning the report was due for review.

I am relatively new to LaTeX, but I do have some books on the topic and
a bunch of references from the web.  I read through those materials for
several days to no avail.  In the end, I tried this forum.  The help I
received here was extremely rapid and of very high quality.

If my posts were annoyingly basic or seemed arrogant, then I sincerely
apologize.  Sometimes I am not good with words, and I was in a
tremendous hurry to just make the thing work.  I was as thorough as I
could be before posting - I did try the file that was included in my
last post, for example.  I never intended to waste anyone's time, and I
am sorry if someone felt "used" or similar.  I was in a real bind that
was fixed by advice found here.  I truly appreciate that.

In the end I do not think that it was a waste of time.  My report
"worked" - it was accepted at the office.  LaTeX will now be used for
all of my reports and an increasing number of reports from others.  I
would hope this group would see increased LaTeX use as a good thing.  I
also received valuable information that I might not have found
otherwise.  The little "experiment" at my work has opened many people's
eyes to something they never knew existed.  I think there was an
abnormally large effect from the help offered in this case, both in
business and private use.

So, I thank you once more for your help, even if you are motivated to
scold me.

Scott
--
A day without math is like a day without sunshine.