[pdftex] Photo reproduction with PDF.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Jun 21 23:07:02 CEST 2003

At 12:24 21/06/2003 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
>On another list a publisher stated that her printers preferred Quark Xpress
>files to pdf output becuse the resolution of photos was poorer with pdf
>files. I thought the resolution of the photo was set when the (e.g.) tiff was
>created and was not affected by inclusion in a pdf file. But before I say so
>I would like to have the benefit of this list's wisdom.

this tells something about the knowledge base of

(1) the publisher
(2) the dtp people he uses
(3) the printing house

anyhow,

(a) they prefer quark because many printing houses use quark's ps editing
features (last minute)
(b) some organizations swap pre-production low res by high res in the final
product
(c) some people mess up distiller settings (auto downsample)

now, for pdftex: what goes in comes out: my experience is that in case of
problems, the problem is in the graphics made by third parties:

- directly including illustrator files (the pdf storage format) ;
- include files without fonts
- include bad bitmaps (negated, wrong colro space, etc)

so, pdftex is ok as long as the embedded graphic originals are ok

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl