[pdftex] Problem with colors in included PDF file

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Sat Jun 14 14:18:23 CEST 2003

Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> AM> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
>>> Therefore I would prefer an option for pdftex.def so that the
>>> user can change the behaviour to his needs.
>>> To be discussed:
>>> * Option name:
>>> * "black", "black=true", "black=false"
>>> * (default)color=black
>>> * Default for this option: a) or b)
>>> What do/does you/everyone prefer?
>
> AM> `defaultcolor' is most descriptive and flexible. Default should
> AM> be `black', which is what most people expect. And then a
> AM> defaultcolor=none would be nice.
>
> I think it should be both an option for each \includegraphics and a
> package option for if you want the behaviour for each \includegraphics.

Most options of graphicx can be set globally with, e.g.:

  \setkeys{Gin}{width=30mm}

This would probably work for `defaultcolor' as well. If not you
can always write a wrapper macro for \includegraphics. I think
there is no need for a package option.

> And I think the same thing applies to the background color, and maybe also
> for the fill color. Please not that what is called defaultcolor above, is
> actually the default stroke color.

It would be too difficult to distinguish between stroking and
non-stroking color. E.g. pdftex draws thin lines just as lines
but thick lines as filled rectangles. A macro package would have
to know a lot about the pdftex binary to take those internals into
consideration. That's why pdftex.def always sets the stroking
/and/ non-stroking color at once.

Ciao
Andreas