[pdftex] php, pdf, latex, ....

Ralf Heckmann rheckmann at gmx.de
Mon Jun 9 14:47:18 CEST 2003

On Monday, June 09, 2003 9:58 AM [GMT+1=CET], Sebastian Rahtz
<sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 19:52, chiari mario wrote:
>
>> I would like to put a (long) LaTeX file on line (on a web server),
>> as to let people to choose which sections  to compile and
>> view/download, both as .html and .pdf.
>>
>> I would like to use mysql and php.
>
> I have to say I think that such a system based on LaTeX is a bad idea.
> For good or bad, the huge majority of work in this area is based on
> XML. That does not not stop you using TeX to format the result, but
> storing documents in LaTeX seems to me to be an increasingly unwise
> strategy.

There was an article in the German "PHP Magazin 02/2003" how to produce PDF
with the help of PHP and LaTeX. The author Gerd Schauffelberg (the article
mentions him as a Web Application Developer at an Internet Design Company
(www.metrix.de)) describes the basic principles of LaTeX for the PHP community
and how to convert XML-tags with an automatic rendering tool. That has been
developed to convert from XML to HTML via the so-called patXMLRenderer, but he
only exchanged the template and got a LaTeX-file.

Perhaps it is possible to get an english version directly from the author.

Ralf

PS: Looking for the patXMLRenderer I found some more informations on
www.php-tools.de/site.php, for example "Dynamic Transformations from
XML to PDF documents with the use of LaTeX"
(www.php-tools.de/site.php?&file=presentations.xml#phpconf2003spring_xml2pdf)