[pdftex] Printing problems on some printers

Claus Tondering ct at filanet.dk
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

I'm not sure this is really pdfTeX related, but I'll try anyway.

My setup is this: A Windows XP computer with two printers attached, an
HP 940C and an HP 690C. I'm also using Acrobat Reader 5.0.5.

I generate a PDF file with pdflatex, using the default Computer Modern
fonts. Acrobat Reader can print it without any problems to the HP 690C
printer. But if I try printing it to my HP 940C printer, most (but not
all) characters are replaced by small rectangles.

I have come across other PDF documents (which I believe are not
generated by pdftex) that have the same problem, so it may not be
related to pdftex at all.

If I use ghostview instead of Acrobat to print the documents,
everything works fine, so it seems to be a problem with the
Acrobat/fonts/printer driver relationship.

Any ideas?

Best wishes,
Claus Tøndering, Denmark