[pdftex] producing a5 booklets from a4

Kester Clegg kester at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

Ricardo Sanchez Carmenes <carmenes at bioinf.medicina.uniovi.es> writes:

[...]

> > Are there any pdf utilities that can help me produce properly formatted
> > a5 booklets from a4 pdf?
>
> I use sucessfully the following pipe:
>
> cat the_pdf_file.pdf | acroread -toPostScript -level2 -size a4 |
> psbook | psnup -pa4 -2

Thanks Ricardo - this does work (perfectly), and I retested texexec
using the same file and a newer, better printer and I got the same
problems as mentioned earlier.  The problem is definitely with texexec's
rearrangement.  It seems a shame we have to rely on acroread to do an
accurate translation of the pdf to ps and then use the psutils to get
our booklet.  There ought to be a way of working with the pdf
directly... but I guess that would involve Angus porting his psutils to
pdf, which seems a tad unlikely.  ;-)

Thanks for your solution - I did wonder how good acroread's conversions
were.  They seem good.

Kester Clegg                Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Associate (UTC)    University of York, UK

Tel (01904) 43 33 75        email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk