[pdftex] producing a5 booklets from a4

Kester Clegg kester at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

[...]

> >When I run that command (texexec --pdfarr --paper=A5A4
> >--print=up) on a pdf document here, the a5 booklet has the cover
> >correct, the second page positioned identically to the first, which is
> >wrong for a book. The third is correct and so on.  That means the left
> >hand and right hand margins are the *wrong way round* on the second
> >page.  Facing pages should mirror their margin spacing (placing the
> >mirror along the binding), so that the space either side of the binding
> >is always equal.  At the moment, it's unequal which is unattractive and
> >like no professionally produced book on earth!
>
> hm, but is your original typeset as doublesided book? it's up to your
> macro package to produce the mirrored margins, isn't it? since the
> postprocessor has no knowlegde about the page layout.

No, as I said.  I want something that does what psbook & psnup can do.
>From the man page

DESCRIPTION
        Psbook rearranges pages from a PostScript document into
        ``signatures'' for printing books or booklets, creating a new
        PostScript file.

It rearranges pages from an existing ps document, I don't think whether
it's double-sided makes any difference - unless the problem is with our
printer's duplex function?  But I don't think so.  I had hoped texexec
was doing the rearranging in a similar fashion for existing pdf
documents, but it appears it doesn't, or doesn't quite.

Kester Clegg Dept. of Computer Science, Research Associate (UTC)
University of York, UK

Tel (01904) 43 33 75        email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk