[pdftex] producing a5 booklets from a4

Kester Clegg kester at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

Hi

I product a5 booklets from pdflatex produced a4 pdf using texexec
utility, e.g.

texexec --pdfarrange --paper=a5a4 --print=up

However, this does not achieve the correct typesetting of the page
layout in a book format, in the way psbook used to.  That is, left-hand
pages are placed too far over to the righthand edge, the binding edge.
Thus on opening a booklet, the typeset pages are unequally placed with
regard to the centre binding.  Is there a cure for this, and why does it
happen?  Translating the files to ps and using an oldfashioned pipe like

psbook|psnup -2l

produces the same result.  latex produced ps works fine with the tools.
Are there any pdf utilities that can help me produce properly formatted
a5 booklets from a4 pdf?

Kester Clegg                Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Associate (UTC)    University of York, UK

Tel (01904) 43 33 75        email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk