[pdftex] pdfTeX 1.00a: Problems with png images

Christian Leutloff leutloff at sundancer.oche.de
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

Hi,

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:50:28PM +0100, Christian Leutloff wrote:
> >   28420  ym_9.png
> By the way, its not really any of my business, but using PNG for
> drawings like this is not good practice. PDF is much more suitable.

Yes, you're right. But I haven't found a way from PowerPoint Slides
to PDF. You can print from PPT to a postscript file. Then the problem
is cutting the white border and save the file as PDF. I've tried gimp,
which can not save as PDF. Okay, you can save as PS and then use ps2pdf
from ghostscript. But the size you get is bigger than png ... (and
gimp has already made a bitmap instead of a vector graphics file 8-( )

I've tried convert from imagemagic. But I was not able to produce a
PDF 8-(

This is the command I'm using at the moment:

convert -colorspace gray -colors 256 -crop 0x0 -density 150x150
-rotate 90 bla.ps bla.png

Therefor I stuck with png ...

Bye
  Christian