[pdftex] Han The Thanh's thesis on microtypography

Guy Worthington guyw at multiline.com.au
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

I've had mixed results with margin kerning; I like the improvement
of margin kerning with cmr10, however, to my eye, text typeset with
palatino looks better without margin kerning.

Below is a small code snippet.  With margin kerning, greyness
increases, especially if you look at the last line of the second
paragraph.  Also the right margin, becomes ragged.  I find this
raggedness more annoying than having half a word sitting on a line
by itself (as is the case, when the code snippet is compiled without
margin kerning).

%--------------------------------------------------
% This was compiled using pdfetex 1.00a pretest
%
\input protcode% protcode available at CTAN

\font\bodyfont = pplr at 10pt
\font\italicfont = pplri at 10pt

\def\emph#1{{\italicfont#1}}

\hsize=333pt% This number is 2.5 times the width of one alphabet
            % using pplr at 10pt
\parindent=24pt

  \bodyfont

  \setprotcode\font
  \pdfprotrudechars=2

  In Section 19, you learned how to use abstract classes to impose
  method definition requirements on subclasses.  In this section, you
  learn how to use Java's \emph{interface mechanism} to establish
  method definition requirements on a class without relying on
  inheritance from an abstract class.

  A principle of good programming practice is that you should think
  about what your programs should do before you proceed to write
  them.  Establishing requirements forces you to think about what you want
  your programs to do; thus liberal use of Java's interface mechanism is
  good practice.

  In this section, you also learn that Java's interface mechanism help
  teams of programmers to work together effectively, and you learn that
  interfaces offer splendid locations for program documentation.

  Thus, Java's interface mechanism, reflectively used, can make you a
  much better programmer.

\bye