[pdftex] Which texmf.cnf runtime option to edit

Asger Graarup Overby aoverby at kom.auc.dk
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

Hi,

As the number of fonts, packages, and pdf figures in our masters
thesis increases we run in to trouble when compiling with pdflatex. We
are quite sure this is due to the limit on string characters (not to
some stupid error). We are on a site that has approximately 400 users,
so we want to be sure, that we ask the administrators to edit the right
runtime option in texmf.cnf, before they run texconfig init.

This is what pdflatex said about memory uasge:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=pdflatex 2000.5.15)

If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 4391 strings out of 10624
 67279 string characters out of 67279
 122530 words of memory out of 263001
 7156 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+0
 55232 words of font info for 113 fonts, out of 400000 for 1000
 14 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
 34i,20n,42p,570b,672s stack positions out of 300i,100n,500p,50000b,4000s
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file not finished!

Now is hash_extra the right option to edit (what should is value be)?
Currently it is 0.

Thanks!

Asger and Esben