[pdftex] Re: eepic and pdflatex

Jorma Laaksonen jorma.laaksonen at hut.fi
Sun Jun 1 17:13:37 CEST 2003

Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de> writes:
> >
> > > Put the graphics into a LaTeX file, one figure per page and disable
> > > page numbering.  Process the file with latex, not pdflatex.  Then run
> > > the dvi file through dvips -E -i -S1.  The parameters are explained in
> > > dvips's manpage.  You will get one eps file for each page with a tight
> > > bounding box.  These files can be converted to pdf with epstopdf.  You
> > > can then include the pdf files into your document as usual (using the
> > > grapicx package).
> >
> > You don't mention here that epstopdf converts the fonts in the eepic
> > graphics to Type3, which -- at least in my case -- leads to that
> > the texts in the eepics won't print when included in the surrounding
> > text.
>
> you need ghostscript >=6.01 (7.00 is current); gs 5.50 and earlier
> converted all but times and the like to type 3 fonts.

I'm using ghostscript 7.00.  What is it there that triggers ghostscript to
produce other than Type3 fonts ?  When I have a file

\documentclass{article}\pagestyle{empty}\begin{document}X\end{document}

which I latex, dvips -E, and epstopdf.  The resulting file contains eg.
the following two lines:

<</Type/Font/Name/A/Subtype/Type3/Encoding 8 0 R/CharProcs<</a0
<</Producer (AFPL Ghostscript 7.0)

xpdf version 0.92 also warns about Type3 fonts being used.

Am I missing something ?

Yours,

Jorma Laaksonen

--