[pdftex] segmentation fault (only pdfTeX, not TeX)

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Sat Jul 26 01:35:36 CEST 2003

Hi Martin,

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Martin Schroeder wrote:

> Thanks for the bugreport; this will be fixed in 1.11a.
> Spot the error (mapfile.c):
> -------------
>             if (*n == 0) { # line 286
> -------------
> 0x80a32c3 in fm_read_info () at /home/ms/tex/pdftex/current/texk/web2c/pdftexdir/mapfile.c:286
> 286                 if (*n == 0) {
> -------------
>
> One wants to check n, not *n! :-(

Are you really sure? Isn't it a check whether n has reached the end of
the list of mapfile filenames, which is a string, terminated by an EOS =
0? And this EOS is checked. Then the origin of the error would be that n
initially doesn't point to a valid empty string, but just to NULL.

With your patch I get a crash here with normal pdflatex use, but it runs
in both -ini and normal when I say in fm_read_info

which (a kludge!) hopefully skips the *n test if the n test is true, and
later uses the *n test. But I don't understand this fm_read_info(), it's
just a wild guess. Have you tried with normal pdftex without -ini?

Greetings Hartmut