[pdftex] Re: Acrobat 6.0 doesn't support pdflatex + CJK well

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Mon Jul 14 18:15:57 CEST 2003

> Dear Prof. Werner LEMBERG, I am very sorry for my wrongdoing.  It's
> my first contact with you and I don't know how to use the mailling
> list.

No reason to apoligize!  There's just a limit of 40kByte for messages.

> The problems I tried to explain for you could also be found in such
> links:
>   http://bbs.ctex.org/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?forum=8&topic=728&show=0

I don't have acrobat 6 (yet), so I just can look at the image in the
above link.  Honestly, I have no idea why some glyphs are looking
bolder (in case this is the very problem).  I've CCed the pdftex
mailing list where some acrobat experts are listening.  Anybody out
here who knows the reason why some CJK glyphs (subfonts?) are
displayed differently if processed with pdflatex, while results
produced with dvipdfmx (or distiller) are fine with both acrobat 5 and
6?  The former uses Type 1 subfonts, while the latter converts them to
CID fonts AFAIK.  Can this be the problem?

    Werner