[pdftex] @ nd Try , trruoble with hyperref when using unnumbered TOC entries

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jul 14 10:44:15 CEST 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 09:33 am, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > Like LaTeX it is a highly abstracted and structured form
> > of TeX.  Unlike LaTeX most plain TeX  and plain pdftex commands will work
> > (but are deprecated.)
>
> I disagree. In LaTeX most plain TeX commands will work but are
> deprecated.
>
> I am not aware of any categories of macros called "plain pdftex".
> "plain" is a macro package by Don Knuth which works with TeX variants.

Well you are the expert of course. I had found that many of my favorite plain
TeX commands were not accepted by LaTeX, which is one of the reasons I
stopped using it except when required by a customer.

I used to call the progam that I execute as "pdftex" by that name, as
distinguished from pdflatex, but I got jumped on by members of this list.
As you know when one uses the command
pdftex foo.tex
the Knuth package is automatically included.
So I use the phrase "plain pdftex" to mean I am using pdftex, and not
pdflatex. Many members of the list refer to pdftex when they really mean
pdflatex.  I will use any terminology that the list will understand.

--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters & Indexers