[pdftex] Why was TIF support removed?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jul 14 09:58:45 CEST 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 05:16 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 17:12 13/07/2003 -0400, Jeffrey McArthur wrote:
> >But a the "standard TeX distribution" contains all of the LaTeX stuff.  A
> >few more bytes on the TeX executable is insignificant compared to all of
> >that.
>
> Not that insignificant: on the latest tex live cdrom afm files had to be
> zipped because of the huge cm super files that were added, so it may sound
> strange, but 1 meg more or less can make live more easy for those packaging
> cd's. When tex live will move to dvd (will happen soon) it's less an issue.

Does that mean that those of us with straight CD drives will be unable to
download a TeXLive iso image anymore?  A better solution might be to take
some of the contents (e.g., unusual fonts) and put them on a separate iso
image.  Of course "unusual" lies in the eye of the beholder but I will never
use anything but Western European languages.

Otherwise, I may have to buy a DVD-capable drive just to use TeXLive. Bummer!
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters & Indexers