[pdftex] ucs.sty & others

Edward G.J. Lee edt1023 at ms17.hinet.net
Mon Jul 14 17:45:08 CEST 2003

  Sorry, what I'm talking about might off the topic.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003, Martin Jansche wrote:
[...]
> The font bsmi00lp.ttf is a large TrueType font (Big5 encoding) that is
> split up into 55 planes of 256 glyphs per plane.  A pdf file generated
> by pdftex using this font can be found at
>
> http://www.tug.org/texshowcase/chinese.pdf
>
> If you do a pdffonts on it, you'll see that it embeds TrueType
> (sub)fonts for each referenced plane.  I doubt that there is any
> simple way of using the full font directly in TeX without reencoding
> and splitting it into planes.
[...]

  It can be done via dvipdfmx. The only you needed is your TTF and
  *.tfm and/or *.sfd of ttf2pk.

  http://info.sayya.org/~edt1023/tex/mycjk/mycjk-emb.pdf

edt1023:~$ pdffonts mycjk-emb.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
TBLTHN+wclooy                        CID TrueType yes yes no      17  0
Times-Roman                          Type 1       no  no  no      19  0
NIHMPL+ShanHeiSun-Light              CID TrueType yes yes no      25  0
Courier                              Type 1       no  no  no      29  0
VGWVBV+ZenKai-Medium                 CID TrueType yes yes no      46  0
Helvetica                            Type 1       no  no  no      48  0
PPITEY+CMSY10                        Type 1       yes yes no     109  0

  It can be used under both LaTeX CJK package and ConTeXt.

  This way you can do copy&paste&search on Chinese characters.

  Otfried had memtion that merge the function into pdftex. It's
  useful for CJKV people.

  FYI.

Edward