[pdftex] Why was TIF support removed?

Jeffrey McArthur jeffmcarthur at comcast.net
Sun Jul 13 18:12:33 CEST 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:58:31 +0200, you wrote:

I still have a copy of what I called "Tiny TeX".  It was a copy of the old
EmTeX that ran on the 8086 (small memory model).  You could fit TeX, the CM
fonts, and a DVI Previewer all on a 1.44 Meg floppy, with no compression.  I
used to hand that out to people who wanted to transfer into my department.

But a the "standard TeX distribution" contains all of the LaTeX stuff.  A
few more bytes on the TeX executable is insignificant compared to all of
that.

One suggestion I have made before on cutting down the distribution size is
to get rid of all the DocStrip files.  With the performance of systems
today, there is no reason not to just run from files with all the comments
embedded in them.  That would cut down the distribution size of a full LaTeX
implementation by at least 25%.  Also it would cut the total number of files
in about half.