[pdftex] expiring Acrobat documents (+ flame wars)

Timothy Murphy tim at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 9 16:26:06 CEST 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:50:56AM -0400, Welch, Ivo wrote:

> One comment:  I find the recent flames in this list and on comp.text.tex
> to be distressing.  Anyone who is willing to freely help the clueless
> parts of the community (like me) and who is/was willing to put in time
> to develop TeX (usually for free) deserves gratitude and appreciation.
>  I agree that some information and effort/project coordination could be
> better in a perfect world, but noone has the time and money to play
> Linus Torvalds for TeX full-time.

I hadn't noticed these flames --
maybe my ignition temperature is higher than yours.

But I think pdftex is a fantastic achievement,
and as one struggling to get my WiFi card working under linux-2.5.74,
I would rather pdftex were left in Thanh's safe hands
(never know which bit of his name is the appropriate one)
than look to Torvalds for his assistance!

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim at maths.tcd.ie
tel: 086-233 6090