[pdftex] Extending pdftex

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jul 2 17:52:01 CEST 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 04:02:57PM +0200, G. D. Brettschneider wrote:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> >there are several kind of extensions:
> >
> >(1) turning typeset text into pdf
> >(2) providing pdf (viewer) specific functionality
> >(3) adding pdf file manipulation features
>
> >(...) one reason for removing encryption for instance was that it
> >crept in all over the code (...)
>
> Personally, I'm missing basic graphic functionality on the level of TeX
> primitives, so that I could write e.g. "\draw fullcircle scaled 3pt
> shifted 1.5pt".

\pdfliteral{...}
The argument goes into the contents stream of the page description.

> Is it possible to compile old and
> stable MetaPost into the pdfTeX cluster to get this?

Hans has written some macros that read MetaPost PostScript
output and convert it into \pdfliteral commands. Therefore
MetaPost PostScript files are supported by ConTeXt and
LaTeX's graphicx package.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>