[pdftex] page numbering styles

Martin Jansche jansche at ling.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jan 26 14:21:27 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to keep the page numbers that Acrobat displays in the
status line consistent with what appears on the pages themselves.  In
the LaTeX source I don't change the numbering style explicitly, but
implicitly via \frontmatter and \mainmatter.  However, I couldn't find
a way to set up the pdf catalog automatically, so currently I do
something like this:

\pdfcatalog{
  /PageLabels << /Nums [ 0 << /S /r >>
}

(I guess I could put a \pageref{} where 10 is now.)  Is there a
package that keeps track of any changes in numbering style and puts
appropriate entries into the catalog?  If not, should there be one?
Thanks,

- martin