[pdftex] proper jpeg inclusion

Peter Fischer pfischer at ira.uka.de
Wed Feb 26 01:37:00 CET 2003

Hi out there!

I noticed that the jpeg images I include look worse than the originals
(less colors). I use pdflatex, the graphicx package with
\includegraphics{}
and acrobat reader to display the result. I can exclude that the reasons
are
the graphics card or the display I use because they work at 32 bit/pixel

and 1280x1024 pixel respectively.
I've also checked this without rescaling, i.e. included the images in
their original sizes so no rerastering/recompressing should be done by
pdflatex.
I suspect that acrobat performs some filtering but I wanted to be safe
that
there aren't any parameters of pdflatex or graphicx I am not aware of.
As far as I have figured out \pdfcompresslevel is deactivated per
default
and only uses lossless zlib-compression anyway.
Furthermore I have found this thread where it is stated that pdftex
isn't able and therefore doesn't perform any jpeg reencoding:

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/pdftex/2001-August/001463.html

So please help: How can I make my jpegs look exactly the same
in the pdf like in the original file?
Can I be definitely sure that there really is no quality loss when using

pdflatex/graphicx?

Thank you for helping me and have a nice day!

Peter Fischer.

Peter Fischer
Universitaet Karlsruhe
Fakultaet fuer Informatik
Institut fuer Betriebs- und Dialogsysteme
Am Fasanengarten 5
76128 Karlsruhe
E-mail: pfischer at ira.uka.de