[pdftex] Corrections to protcode.tex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Dec 27 15:56:03 CET 2003

I use the hanging punctuation feature of pdftex often. Recently
an incident occurred where it became apparent that the font
encodeing I was using was incompatible with the original
protcode.tex.

Most of the commands in protcode.tex refer to specific characters
in the form:
  \rpcode#1`\!=200
...which is encoding independent in that it refers to the
character by its graphic form. But four lines need to be
modified if you are using e.g. 8a encoding:
---------------------
    \lpcode#1 92=500  % ``
    \rpcode#1 34=500  % ''
    \rpcode#1 123=300 % --
    \rpcode#1 124=200 % ----
 -------------------
...need to be changed to:
---------------------
    \lpcode#1 147=500  % ``
    \rpcode#1 148=500  % ''
    \rpcode#1 150=300 % --
    \rpcode#1 151=200 % ---
These are the four common punctuation marks where TeX creates
the mark from multiple instances of other characters.

Of course the protrusion values can be played with also.

Comments/corrections welcome.
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers