[pdftex] Pls explain to me: Warning: pdflatex (file f7b6d320.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Dec 21 20:16:12 CET 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>     > /usr/share/texmf/dvips/ contains: base bluesky config gsftopk
>     > misc psfrag pstricks xypic
>
> There should be a subdirectory named tetex.  I have
>       ...../share/texmf/dvips/tetex/f7b6d320.enc
>
> Either you didn't install all the TeX packages or the RedHat "tetex"
> is broken.
> [...]
> If nothing else helps you can compile teTeX from scratch.  This is
> amazingly easy, assuming that RedHat's C-compiler is not broken
> again.  teTeX itself always work.
>
> You'll find the sources at
>
>   ftp://ftp@ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/systems/unix/teTeX/2.0/distrib
>
> If it doesn't compile properly, let us know.

Or get TeX Live 2003 which has binaries for many platforms.  It is
based on teTeX-2 but has more newer packages.  If you are using pdftex
you may want to get pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11b-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2),
which you will need to compile.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada