[pdftex] Pls explain to me: Warning: pdflatex (file f7b6d320.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Dec 21 11:11:30 CET 2003

    > /usr/share/texmf/dvips/ contains: base bluesky config gsftopk
    > misc psfrag pstricks xypic

There should be a subdirectory named tetex.  I have
      ...../share/texmf/dvips/tetex/f7b6d320.enc

Either you didn't install all the TeX packages or the RedHat "tetex"
is broken.

I can't understand why someone want to have these files in a separate
package.

It might be possible that you have two TeX versions installed.  You
can run "texconfig confall" to find out whether TeX looks into some
strange directories.

It is a known problem that RedHat is splitting teTeX into smaller
packages.  Of course, one can do that if one really knows what one
is doing.

If nothing else helps you can compile teTeX from scratch.  This is
amazingly easy, assuming that RedHat's C-compiler is not broken
again.  teTeX itself always work.

You'll find the sources at

  ftp://ftp@ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/systems/unix/teTeX/2.0/distrib

If it doesn't compile properly, let us know.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25