[pdftex] Wordwrap in PDF document properties

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sat Dec 20 20:57:32 CET 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:49:40PM +0100, valter violino wrote:

> i use code listed below to set text which appears
> as document property of  a PDF document viewed
> with Acrobat Reader (shortcut key: Ctrl-D).
>
> \hypersetup{%
> backref,%
> pdfauthor = {my name},%
> pdftitle = {my document wordwrapped title},%
> pdfsubject = {},%        |
> pdfkeywords = {},%
> pdfcreator = {latex + hyperref}%
> }
>
> How can i wordwrap pdftitle's text or any other
> field?
> i tried to use \\, \newline (according to latex
> syntax) and also \n, but none of them yields what
> i need.

In text annotations the lines can be wrapped,
but in bookmarks or in the document information
my AR versions do not support this (AR4/Linux, AR5/Linux).

You can try:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\pdfstringdefDisableCommands{%
  \edef\\{\string\r}%
}
\hypersetup{%
  pdftitle={Hello\\World}%
}
\begin{document}
Test for unsupported carriage return in document information.
\end{document}

But AR5/Linux and gv display a dashed rectangle instead, and
pdfinfo 0.92 ignores all after "Hello".

The PDF specification explicitly says for the /Contents of
text annotations:
| Carriage returns may be used to separate the text into
| paragraphs.

In the description of the document information, however, this
sentence is missing. Therefore I would say, that line breaks
should not be used here.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>