[pdftex] Pls explain to me: Warning: pdflatex (file f7b6d320.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Dec 18 18:01:46 CET 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Mario wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am getting the  warning msg in the subject. I have not idea on what that
> mean (I am just a user).
>
> I am trying to write a php script which let me modify a latex text.tex
> source and output a corrected text.pdf file. The same script works on Win32
> (98) (with the relevant changes on handling files).
>
> On Linux (on a remote server, I believe it is RedHat 9.0) I get the warning:
> Warning: pdflatex (file f7b6d320.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading
>
> The .pdf file is output, but it is empty.
>
> Any comment/advise is welcome. Pointers to a (self-explanatory) tutorial
> and/or manual pages is very fine too.
> Thanks
> mario

Check the permissions on this file:
$ ls -l $(kpsewhich f7b6d320.enc)
-rw-r--r--  1 gwhite bod 2.1k Dec 25 2002 \
/usr/TeX/texmf/dvips/tetex/f7b6d320.enc

Also (in case there are problems with permissions on some directory):

$ head $(kpsewhich f7b6d320.enc)
% Thomas Esser, Dec 2002. public domain
%
% Encoding for:
%     cmb10 cmbx10 cmbx12 cmbx5 cmbx6 cmbx7 cmbx8 cmbx9 cmbxsl10
%     cmdunh10 cmr10 cmr12 cmr17cmr6 cmr7 cmr8 cmr9 cmsl10 cmsl12 cmsl8
%     cmsl9 cmss10cmss12 cmss17 cmss8 cmss9 cmssbx10 cmssdc10 cmssi10
%     cmssi12 cmssi17 cmssi8cmssi9 cmssq8 cmssqi8 cmvtt10
%
/TeXf7b6d320Encoding [
/Gamma /Delta /Theta /Lambda /Xi /Pi /Sigma /Upsilon /Phi /Psi /Omega

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada