[pdftex] pdf(pdflatex) vs ps(dvips) documents, crop marks, images

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Dec 4 22:35:34 CET 2003

Sorry for the late response but I didn't have internet access during
the last 5 weeks because we changed the telephone company.

    > I use pdflatex to make a4 documents for online use, but some of
    > them are also wanted for commercial printing, which means they
    > need margins and crop marks.

    > I tried simply using Melchior Franz' crop.sty, and I got
    > beautiful margins and crop marks, but only in the upper left
    > corner of the visible pdf output, which remains a4 sized!  Did I
    > do something wrong?

I would not put the crop marks into the original document.  Just let
pdftex make a normal A4 pdf file, for instance "myfile.pdf".

Then prepare a separate file called a5crop.tex:
\documentclass[a5paper]{article}
\usepackage[cam,a4,center,axes]{crop}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\begin{document}
\includepdf[pages=-]{myfile.pdf}
\end{document}

Finally run "pdflatex a5crop".  Note that you can use this script to
add crop marks and/or to scale *any* pdf document independent of the
program that created it.  The pdfpages documentation gives some more
information.  The only drawback is that hyperlinks get lost.  So you
cannot use it for the online version.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25