[pdftex] Re: \pdfinfo and inputenc.sty

Morten Høgholm moho01ab at student.cbs.dk
Thu Aug 28 16:46:24 CEST 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:53:26 +0200, Frédéric Darboux
<Frederic.Darboux at orleans.inra.fr> wrote:

> Dear pdfLaTex users.
>
> When I include letters with accent in the information section (/pdfinfo)
> of a pdf file, the display of these info is messed up in Acrobat 5. For
> example, instead of the word "étude" (see code below), I get displayed
> something starting with "unhbox voidb at x"...
>
> It happens if I load the package inputenc with the options inputenc
> *before* the command \pdfinfo. To reverse the order solves my problem,
> but it does not give me any understanding on what's going on.
> Could someone explain to me the interaction mechanism between
> inputenc.sty and \pdfinfo?
>
> Regards
>
> Frédéric Darboux
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \documentclass[12pt, a4paper]{article}
>
> \usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
>
> \pdfinfo {
> /Title (étude)
> }
>
> \begin{document}
> test
> \end{document}
In short: you need a font with é included, and the OT1 doesn't have that.
What you see is the box representation of an e with accent19 over it.

Solutions: Switch font encoding with for instance \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}.
As you're French I would strongly advice this (hyphenation issues)!
--
Morten Høgholm