[pdftex] "Linearized hint data" problem

Jennifer Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Sun Aug 17 01:24:02 CEST 2003

John Culleton wrote:

> On Saturday 16 August 2003 04:25 am, Jennifer Howlett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A colleague of mine uses LaTeX+dvips+AFPL Ghostscript 7.04 to
> > create and optimize pdf files related to a statistics course
> > she teaches.>
> > Does anyone know the actual cause of the problem? Is there
> > something wrong with Ghostscript's optimizer? Would the problem
> > persist if my colleague could be persuaded to use pdftex
> > originally, and only use ghostscript at the optimizing stage?
> >
> >> Any help would be appreciated.
> > Bob Howlett
> >

> You mean pdflatex I am sure. There are those of us who use pdftex
> and not pdflatex.
> --

FWIW, I'm a diehard user of plain (but I recognise that using
pdflatex involves using pdftex).

I forgot to mention, I didn't get the "error reading linearized hint
data" message when viewing the file on a machine with the full Acrobat
installed, but did when using a machine that has just got the Reader.

Bob Howlett