[pdftex] Pdftex & soul

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 00:16:07 CEST 2003

John Culleton wrote:

> So I do ask that those who have a pdflatex problem identify it as such.
> We can reserve the word "pdftex" to refer to what is described in the
> Pdftex Manual. It just saves confusion.

people are forever trying to encourage such usage; such attempts
started on comp.text.tex within a month or so of it starting.

it never works, even in groups where good will is high, and the
population is static.  in groups/lists, such as comp.text.tex
pdftex at tug.org, where people drop in to ask a single question, there's
no chance at all.  any more than there's a chance that they will read
relevant faqs, thus saving them asking most of the questions they do
ask.

any more than there's a chance that people asking a question that's
not about pdftex at all should label it as such.  (the question that
started this thread is about the distribution, not about pdftex.)

robin