[pdftex] Ellipses in text...

Magnus Lie Hetland magnus at hetland.org
Tue Apr 15 17:33:11 CEST 2003

I just read the sections in The Chicago Manual of Style on ellipses,
and started to wonder about the use of ellipses in LaTeX. I've been
using the \dots and \ldots commands, but -- is this really the thing
to do? It seems to me that "correct" style (at least what is used in
the Chicago Manual and some other places) has more space between the
dots. Also, the Manual says there should be a "three-to-em" space
before/after the ellipsis. And... It also says that, in some cases,
the ellipsis should be preceded by a full stop (dot) -- but to get
consistent spacing in LaTeX, I have to put it _after_... Not much
difference visually, but still :]

Any insights? Any documentation on the issue? Code?

Thanks,

- M

--
Magnus Lie Hetland               "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist."
http://hetland.org                                   -- Indiana Jones