[pdftex] hyperlinks in index

Martin Jansche jansche at ling.ohio-state.edu
Sat Apr 5 18:26:17 CEST 2003

Hi,

I've encountered a problem with the targets of hyperlinks anchored in
the index in conjunction with the standard book class.  The problem
arises when the following file is processed with pdflatex and makeidx:

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{makeidx,hyperref}
\makeindex

\begin{document}

\frontmatter
\chapter{Preface}
foo\index{foo}

\mainmatter
\chapter{Introduction}
bar\index{bar}

\backmatter
\printindex

\end{document}

I should point out that pdflatex produces warning messages saying, for
example, "pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier
(name{page.1}) has been already used, duplicate ignored".  I take it
this means the distinction between page i in the front matter and page
1 in the main matter was lost.

The main problem is then that the link after the index term "bar",
although anchored at "1", leads to page "i", which mentions "foo".
(Probably unrelated, when clicking on "foo" in AR 5, I get to the
correct page, but the view is reset to Fit-in-Window, which is
annoying.)

Version strings:
  pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b
  LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>