[pdftex] Optical alignment

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de
Sun Sep 29 02:38:54 CEST 2002

    > I tried to use character protruding as described in Han The
    > Thanh's Dissertation. Ther result was overkill. Not only the end
    > character but the character next to the end character protruded
    > into the margin.  Here is a snippet from my code:

    > [...]

    > I used the protcode.tex file as included in the TeXlive
    > distribution.

    > Can anyone suggest a cure?

If you are using pdfTeX version 1.0 the following piece of code in
protcode.tex causes the problem:

    \ifnum\pdftexversion > 13
        \ifnum \expandafter`\pdftexrevision > `g
            \adjustprotcode#1
    \fi \fi

The check for \pdftexrevision fails.

Just add the lines:

    \ifnum\pdftexversion > 99
            \adjustprotcode#1
    \fi

and it should work for the current and future versions.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			             Phone: +49-511-27060390
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover	              mailto:reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de