[pdftex] Re: PDF image included in PDF: colour messed up

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Sep 12 17:21:33 CEST 2002

Maciej Kalisiak <mac at cs.toronto.edu> reports problems on this list today
with display of PNG files in pdftex:

>> When I use the PNG I get black background instead.

FWIW: Software support for the PNG transparency feature is spotty: we
found that most versions of netscape have a similar display failure,
and as a result, we had to modify latex2html to use the otherwise
deprecated GIF file format, instead of PNG, for equations.

We use the WebWork system for handling online mathematics exercises
and examinations for hundreds of students, and it in turn creates
LaTeX files that get converted to HTML with latex2html.  The
transparency feature (which works fine in netscape for GIF files) is
critical for proper display of the equation pictures in the HTML, and
we have a LOT of them (178K in my count just now).

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe at math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB        beebe at acm.org  beebe at computer.org -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe at ieee.org                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -