[pdftex] PDF image included in PDF: colour messed up

Maciej Kalisiak mac at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Sep 12 18:05:11 CEST 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:41:19PM -0400, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:26:28PM -0400, Maciej Kalisiak wrote:
>
> > I'm getting bizarre colour distortion when I include a PDF containing a
> > colourful image into a master PDF file.  See
> >
> > http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac/bugs/pdftex/triangle-src.png
> > http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac/bugs/pdftex/triangle-final.png
> >
> > (the first, source image contains a triangle which blends three
> >  gradients, one from each corner of the triangle; when included in a PDF
> >  using "pdflatex", both "acroread" and "xpdf" show it embedded with the
> >  colours mixed up, as seen in second picture)
>
> Perhaps a problem with a limited number of colors of your
> screen graphics mode.

It can't be.  If I include the PNG instead of the derived PDF, the
colours are displayed properly.

> I could successfully embed triangle-src.png
> with pdfTeX of TL7 (1.00b).

Hmmmm.  Perhaps something has been fixed since the version that I'm
using.  I'll have to try the newer version.

> > Workflow:
> >     - create triangle PNG in gimp
> >     - png used in an XFig figure
> >     - fig exported as a PDF
>
> Why? You can directly use PNG with pdfTeX.

I want the transparency.  When I use the PNG I get black background
instead.

--
Maciej Kalisiak       mac "at" dgp.toronto.edu       www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac