[pdftex] Printing problems on some printers

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Thu Oct 31 09:39:15 CET 2002

> I'm not sure this is really pdfTeX related, but I'll try anyway.
>
> My setup is this: A Windows XP computer with two printers attached, an
> HP 940C and an HP 690C. I'm also using Acrobat Reader 5.0.5.
>
> I generate a PDF file with pdflatex, using the default Computer Modern
> fonts. Acrobat Reader can print it without any problems to the HP 690C
> printer. But if I try printing it to my HP 940C printer, most (but not
> all) characters are replaced by small rectangles.

Using Windows 95 (!) and a HP 930C I have frequently encountered the `small
rectangle' instead of each text character problem.

For that rusty system it seemed related to having a large image in the
document. Rebooting (and emptying all the temporary directories and printer
spools by hand, if all else failed) cured it.
This is not such a problem on W95 as one of its features seems to be to
automatically reboot several times a day ... I understand they've removed
that from XP ;-)>

_If_ this is related:
	What is the file size?
	Are the `on board' memory sizes of the 690C and 940C different?

I accept the symptom may have multiple causes though ...

Michael Chapman