[pdftex] producing a5 booklets from a4

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Wed Oct 9 16:30:11 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 08:54, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I'm bemused. This whole conversation seems to revolve around
> the fact that "psbook" and "texexec" do different jobs in different
> ways. I don't see the need for so much aggression on the list.

Quite agree, but I see the point(s) ...

A couple of weeks back we produced a wonderful A5 booklet, and I tried (never
having used it before) to use Context to impose my little pages onto A4.
Why do software creators put in features you do not need, and not make the
one feature you do need really obvious ...  ?    :-)>
Time ran out, and the rest of the project went to the printers with the
booklet unfinished ... (but on the same CD) ... it turned out the
Acrobat-Print dialog box (for that printer) had an option for booklet
creation (amusingly, to the industrial printers' surprise as well as mine ...
).
Tempers here were though more frayed, than has been _evident_ on the list ...

Two, non-whimsical points:

1) Generally I hate GUI's but "btw, i have plans to make a more gui based
interface to this mechanism, which will go into the context distribution"
sounds like very good news for a novice (and/or desperate) user. I add my
encouragement!

2) I could have solved my problem (and my -sorry to be boring- recuring
problem of editing parallel translations) if I could have converted my file
to a series of pdf images.
I am probably missing something very basic, but is their a method that will
convert BOOK.pdf to PAGE_1.pdf, PAGE_2.pdf, ...... , PAGE_N-1.pdf,
PAGE_N.pdf ?

Regards,

	Michael Chapman.