[pdftex] slightly OT: ps2pdf vs. distiller

Peter Sojan ilikeunix at gmx.net
Mon Oct 7 18:53:49 CEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:01:29AM +1000, Adrian Heathcote wrote:
> Are you sure that these small differences are not randomly
> distributed---that you would not get variations like this from a single
> method of production. On my viewer they are so subtle that I'm not even
> sure I know what you're getting at. (Acrobat 5 on OS X 10.2.1) What
> font did you use---it looks like a Garamond?

Because this phenomenon seems to be dependent on the Acrobat version
(and obviously on the platform) I made the screenshots under:

http://www20.brinkster.com/lorandis/ps2pdf_vs_distiller.html

Both my Windows and Linux version of Acrobat Reader (Version 5)
clearly show the difference, as depicted by the shots. Yes, the
font I use is Adobe Garamond.

> I should add that I can certainly see that the ps2pdf version is
> slightly fainter---and that perhaps stem width are slightly different.
> Does this difference show up in printouts?

No, on printouts everything looks the same (but I must admit, that
my inkjet at home is not a good reference).

Peter