[pdftex] pdfcrypt

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Thu Oct 3 06:29:47 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 09:12, Martin Schroeder wrote:

> P.S.: From the NEWS of the next pdfTeX version:
>       - The extensions for pdf encryption have been removed,
>         since they make the pdfTeX code overly complex.

Can anyone expand on "complex" ?

	- makes it larger? Well it would. (But hardly a
	   problem these days.)

	- the crypt part is in itself complicated ?
	   Does that matter if it is a switchable option.

	- there are too many links between the crypt
	   part and the 'vanilla' parts, that then makes
	   maintaining the 'vanilla' parts difficult?

The last would seem the only logical reason for 'pulling' crypt out of the
distribution. _But_ I fully accept there may be reasons other than the above
three, and better analyses than the above.

Whilst his achievement was by no means minor, I did not have the impression
from Ricardo Cármenes that the third possible reason cited above was his
difficulty in incorporating crypt. But perhaps he could, himself, comment?

I do though remember a lot of political noise at the time crypt first
started. It would be unreasonable to suggest "[makes] the code overly
complex" is a euphemism for a political decision. But still people might be
tempted to think along that route ... so basically this is just a plea for
more information / more discussion.

Thanks,
	Michael Chapman