[pdftex] pdfcrypt

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed Oct 2 12:31:50 CEST 2002

Le mercredi 2 octobre 2002 à 11:12:53, Martin Schroeder écrivit :

MS> On 2002-10-02 10:39:21 +0200, Thierry Bouche wrote:
>> Next problem: gs' pdfopt works on the unencrypted version, not on the
>> encrypted one...

MS> Of course. You want your encrypted files to be safe from changes,
MS> don't you? And pdfopt surely changes the file...

sure, but I noticed that gs doesn't obey so much security settings (you
can extract text when copy is forbidden, e.g.).

MS> Best regards
MS>         Martin

MS> P.S.: From the NEWS of the next pdfTeX version:
MS>       - The extensions for pdf encryption have been removed,
MS>         since they make the pdfTeX code overly complex. Those
MS>         needing pdf encryption are encouraged to produce a
MS>         standalone program for encrypting pdfs.

Well, fine for me, as I checked that the encryption mode acts OK as a
postprocessor, but doesn't really interact properly with pdftex working.

What I (we) really need is some batch postprocessor that would add
protection and optimization to the PDF files from pdftex.

Apart from using acrobat's batch mode (which implies windows) there seem
to exist no way to do that (preferably under linux). Wouldn't it be
quite feasible starting from the existing work by R.S. Carmenes?

--
 Thierry Bouche