[pdftex] FYI: Acrobat Reader 5.0.5

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Tue May 21 17:07:20 CEST 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, David Goldschmidt wrote:

>     story> Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 for Linux and Sun Solris SPARC has been loaded
>     story> to the adobe web site.  See
>     story> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
>
> For the benefit of us non-expert pdflatex users, could you briefly
> review the advantages of upgrading from version 4?

Some first experiences mainly with the linux version,
of course some new bugs:

* New bug: "Fit visible" (FitBH) is unusable, because
  of errors in the calculation of the width
  (both linux and solaris version).

* "Revert" menu entry vanished.

* The new entry "Save A Copy" contains a option field
  "Optimize", but this is not working. I have only
  seen 1:1 copies without changes.

* I get a warning (SuSE 7.2 installation):
    Warning: charset "ISO8859-15" not supported, using "ISO8859-1".
  So I have set to get rid of it (bash syntax):
    export LC_CTYPE=3D"iso_8859_1"

Some old bugs are fixed, and some new features:

* The values in the "Page Setup" menu, especially "A4"
  is now correctly set at startup.

* In full-screen mode hiding the mouse after delay now works.

* The window with the page label adopts itself to the width of
  the label.

* Rotations are possible.

* The recent file list now contains a maximum of eight files
  instead of only four.

* New feature: "Smooth Line Art".

* During a AR session the toolbar can be configured,
  especially button groups can be hidden. But I found
  no way for setting this in the configuration files.

* ...

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>