[pdftex] Problems with pdftex.map

Robert Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Thu May 16 00:20:09 CEST 2002

The minor disadvantage with omitting the PS font names from
the map files is that doing so means that pdftex won't merge
font subsets when a font in an included image is the same
as one used in the body of the document. Instead, the font
gets included twice. Quoting a message posted by Thanh
a couple of years ago,

> pdftex only subsets a font in included pdf's if it found the corresponding
> PS name in map file and the Type1 source is available. Yes, it should be
> mentioned in the manual
>
> Thanh

I did a test to make certain that this is still the case.
I have a pdf image file that uses a few letters from the fonts
cmr10, cmr7 and cmmi10. Including it via pdfximage in a short
document that uses the same letters from the same fonts I
got a pdf file of size 17631 bytes. Changing the map file lines
from things like
cmr10 CMR10 <cmr10.pfb
to just
cmr10 <cmr10.pfb
and running pdftex again produced a file of size 19359 bytes.

Bob Howlett